***The 2020 France-Berkeley Fund competition is now closed. Applicants will be notified in mid-June. Please check back in September for the 2021 call.***
Call for Proposals 2020
The France-Berkeley Fund invites applications for collaborative projects to begin on/after July 1, 2020.
NEW IN 2020:
Thanks to additional financial support from both France and Berkeley, we are pleased to announce two special funding opportunities for this year's application cycle:
Up to two grants in any discipline for collaborations with a co-PI from the Université Paris Sciences et Lettres (PSL)
Up to two grants in the Humanities or Social Sciences for projects dealing with language usage and translation, language history, or linguistic change.
Researchers in these areas are especially encouraged to apply. Proposals are subject to the same competitive review process that applies to all FBF projects.
How to Apply
STEP 1: To get started, download and read our application guidelines (PDF) for detailed information on France-Berkeley Fund awards and eligibility.
ATTENTION UC DAVIS APPLICANTS!
For each award, UC Davis will contribute a maximum of $8,000 and Berkeley a maximum of $4,000. Before submission to the France-Berkeley Fund, all UC Davis proposals must be submitted like all other proposals to Sponsored Programs for review and approval:
The Office of Sponsored Programs
Office of Research
1850 Research Park
University of California, Davis
All UC Davis applicants must submit a cover letter evidencing review and approval of the proposal by UC Davis Sponsored Programs, and a letter from the applicant’s home department confirming a monetary contribution equivalent to 1/3 of the total grant request. (Note: Staff or other time commitments/contributions cannot be considered a form of cost-sharing support.) No UC Davis proposals will be accepted without prior confirmation from the UCD Office of Sponsored Programs.
For more information, contact Ahmad Hakim-Elahi (firstname.lastname@example.org)
General application guidelines continue below.
STEP 2: Compile the supporting materials requested below into two separate files (one in English, one in French), in MS Word or PDF format, in the following order:
- Cover sheet (.docx or PDF) (Note for UC Davis applicants: Please ensure that “Funding Requested from FBF” does not exceed $4,000.)
- Project proposal (not to exceed 3 pages, single-spaced, 12 pt. Times New Roman font, including references), including a timetable for completion and a description of how the project contributes to scientific knowledge and research methods within the applicants’ fields, the nature of the collaboration proposed, the involvement of junior scholars (detailing their names and roles in the project), and the proposed impact of the collaboration, both in scientific terms and institutionally. NOTE: This description must be in French in the French file, and in English in the English file.
- Letter of intent (1 page max), signed by both project coordinators, indicating their commitment to collaborate and to observe the project timeline and calendar of expenses. This letter can be either in French or in English; a translation is not necessary, but it must be included in both files.
- Project budget (1 page max) indicating a breakdown of expenses by category (airfare, lodging, etc.) and other sources of funding (potential and actual). The same document may be used in both files (French and English).
- Curriculum vitae (2 pages max) of each project coordinator. CVs can be either in French or in English, but must be included in both files.
- ***For UC Davis applicants only***: Cover letter evidencing review and approval of proposal by UCD Sponsored Programs, and letter confirming a monetary contribution equivalent to 1/3 of the total grant request from applicant’s home department. (Note: Staff or other time commitments/contributions cannot be considered a form of cost-sharing support.)
To assist our office, please save documents with the following file names:
Last Name of UC PI-Last Name of France PI-FBF2020-ENG
Last Name of UC PI-Last Name of France PI-FBF2020-FR
STEP 3: Complete the online application form and upload all supporting materials before submitting.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com