2021 Call for Projects
The 2021 France-Berkeley Fund call for projects is now open through February 1.
The France-Berkeley Fund invites applications for up to $12,000 in seed funding for new collaborations between faculty and research scientists at the University of California, Berkeley and their counterparts in France.
The core mission of the FBF is to advance innovative basic and applied research in all fields. We accept single-discipline or interdisciplinary proposals on any research topic in STEM, arts & humanities, social sciences, law, business, education, and public health.
For the 2021 grant cycle, we also welcome proposals for projects that address today’s global challenges in key areas including (but not limited to):
- Sustainability, energy and the environment
- Democracy and social justice
- Diversity, equity and inclusion
- Artificial intelligence and digital technology
- Innovation and the future of work
Apply by February 1, 2021. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
***Interested in applying?***
Join our Virtual Info Session on Monday, November 16 at 10am PT (NOTE NEW TIME) or drop in to our Zoom office hour on Monday, November 30, 10-11am PT.
First-time applicants are especially encouraged to attend.
How to Apply
STEP 1: Read our application guidelines (PDF) for detailed information on France-Berkeley Fund awards and eligibility.
STEP 2: Compile the supporting materials requested below into two separate files (one in English, one in French), in MS Word or PDF format, in the following order:
- Cover sheet (MS Word or PDF) (Note for UC Davis applicants: Please ensure that “Funding Requested from FBF” does not exceed $4,000.)
- Project proposal (max 3 pages, including references), including a timetable for completion. The project proposal should describe the nature of the collaboration, how the project contributes to advancing scientific knowledge and research methods within the applicants’ fields, the involvement of junior scholars (detailing their names and roles in the project), and the proposed scientific and institutional impact of the collaboration. Project description must be in French in the French file, and in English in the English file.
- Letter of intent (max 1 page), signed by both project coordinators, indicating their commitment to collaborate and to observe the project timeline and calendar of expenses. This letter can be either in French or in English; a translation is not necessary, but it must be included in both files.
- Project budget (max 1 page) indicating a breakdown of expenses by category (airfare, lodging, etc.) and other sources of funding (potential and actual). The same document may be used in both files (French and English).
- Curriculum vitae (max 2 pages) of each project coordinator. CVs can be either in French or in English, but must be included in both files.
- For UC Davis Applicants: Cover letter from UCD Office of Sponsored Programs and applicant's home department (see below)
***INSTRUCTIONS FOR UC DAVIS APPLICANTS***:
Before submission to the France-Berkeley Fund, all UC Davis proposals must first be submitted to the Office of Sponsored Programs for review and approval. For each FBF award, UC Davis will contribute a maximum of $8,000 and Berkeley a maximum of $4,000.
Along with the materials above, all UC Davis applicants must also submit a cover letter evidencing review and approval of the proposal by UC Davis Sponsored Programs, and a letter from the applicant’s home department confirming a monetary contribution equivalent to 1/3 of the total grant request. (Note: Staff or other time commitments/contributions cannot be considered a form of cost-sharing support.)
No UC Davis proposals will be accepted without prior confirmation from the UCD Office of Sponsored Programs.
For more information, contact Ahmad Hakim-Elahi (Executive Director, Sponsored Programs): email@example.com
Office of Research
1850 Research Park
University of California, Davis
STEP 3: Complete the online application form and upload all supporting materials before submitting.
To assist our office, please upload supporting documents with the following file names:
Last Name of UC PI-Last Name of France PI-FBF2021-ENG
Last Name of UC PI-Last Name of France PI-FBF2021-FR
Deadline: Monday, February 1, 2021, 11:59pm PST. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org